S01E01 Show Notes: Intro to the Disruptive Video Game Podcast
November 21, 2019
Welcome to the show notes to the first episode of the Disruptive Video Game Podcast.
This first episode is very much a pilot episode. I recorded 3 episodes on this day, all of which were unscripted/free form. After processing them and listening to them, I decided to keep this pilot episode, but switch to a fully written script for all future episodes that do not feature a guest. This will allow me to polish the presentation up quite a bit. Also, the audio is not perfect in this episode, so I have done work to increase the audio production quality in each future episode.
Since future episodes now have their script completed in advance, the show notes for these upcoming episodes will contain a full transcript of the podcast.
In this episode, I discuss what a disruptive game is, and note that Pokemon Go and Hatred are two examples of different types of disruptive games. Pokemon Go was unavoidable when it released, mainly because of the popularity of the Pokemon franchise, combined with the disruptive new game mechanics of scavenger hunting in game in the real world. Hatred, on the otherhand, had no remarkable game mechanics and was a standard uninspired top down shooter. However, the game’s branding and marketing over-emphasized murder and violence, making it a disruptive marketing success story despite the game’s mediocrity.
The next episode will be posted Monday, December 2nd, 2019 at 6 AM PST. Come back for episode 2, where I take a deep look at how Undertale, a game developed by 1 person, grossed millions of dollars despite not having a marketing budget. You won’t want to miss this one!
Thanks for joining me for the show! Please, if you have any questions, comments, or feedback let me know! Also, please review the podcast if you have a moment. Thanks!
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/disruptive-video-game-podcast/id1488785036
- Spotify: spotify:show:7ezgr
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ehGNelCsM2Uc7yBnQB3Z8ZOeFyJfZXv
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/black-lodge-games-llc/the-disruptive-video-game-podcast
- iHeartRadio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/966-disruptive-video-game-podc-53827529/
- Deezer: https://www.deezer.com/show/688602
- Podcast Addict: https://podplayer.net/?podId=2480146
- SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/blacklodgegames
- Spreaker: https://www.spreaker.com/show/disruptive-video-game-podcast
- Castbox: https://castbox.fm/channel/id2468262
Welcome to the show notes to the 3rd episode of the Disruptive Video Game Podcast. Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem is a 2002 Action Adventure/Survival Horror Game for the Nintendo GameCube, developed Silicon Knights and published by Nintendo. In this Read more…
Welcome to the show notes to the 2nd episode of the Disruptive Video Game Podcast. Undertale is a 2015 indie RPG developed by a single person that used disruptive game mechanics to stand out from the flood of indie Read more…
Welcome to the show notes to the first episode of the Disruptive Video Game Podcast. The next episode will be posted Monday, December 2nd, 2019 at 6 AM PST. Come back for episode 2, where I take a deep look Read more…